On Wednesday June 27, 2012, the Postal Service sent a notice to the PRC requesting approval for a “Holiday Mobile Shopping Promotion” that they proposed to run from November 7, 2012 through November 21, 2012. The promotion will be available for First-Class and Standard Mail letters, flats, and cards (presort and automation) that include a mobile barcode – or other print/mobile technology – on or inside the mailpiece. The incentive is a two percent (2%) up-front discount on mail containing the mobile barcodes. Additionally, mailers may qualify for an extra one percent (1%) rebate if a portion of the orders stemming from the promotional mail pieces are fulfilled using Priority Mail between November 9, 2012 and December 31, 2012.
As with the upcoming Mobile Commerce and Personalization Promotion incentive, to be eligible for the 2% mobile barcode discount, customers must register on the USPS Business Customer Gateway at gateway.usps.com, and specify which permits and CRIDs will participate in the promotion. Mailers also need to identify a Mailing Payment Account to which the USPS may credit the one percent rebate – if they do what’s necessary to be eligible for that. Registration is planned to open around September 15, 2012 and must be completed at least 2 hours prior to the first mailing date. Other requirements include:
- Eligible mailings must submit eDoc. Mailings that are prepared by an entity other than the mail owner must indicate the identity of the owner in the eDoc. The eDoc must also identify the mail owner and mail preparer in the “By/For” fields for all mailings, either by Customer Registration ID (CRID), Mailer ID (MID) or other account type that is assigned by USPS.
- Mailings of automation letters or flats must have Intelligent Mailbarcodes. Mailpieces with POSTNET barcodes will not be eligible for the price reduction.
- The promotion discount does not apply to single-piece First-Class Mail pieces including residual single-piece First-Class Mail pieces on a postage statement for Presorted and automation mailings.
- Mailers must provide the USPS acceptance unit with an unaddressed sample of the mailpiece that contains a mobile barcode. Mailers must retain a sample of each mailpiece claiming a discount until January 15, 2013.
- Participants must agree to participate in a survey conducted during or after the promotional period.
- Commingled, co-mailed and combined mailings are allowed, but a separate postage statement is required for mailpieces with Mobile Barcodes.
Mailers participating in the promotion may receive an additional 1% rebate on the pre-discount postage for their qualifying mailings, if they send a certain number of Priority Mail packages with a unique trackable barcode (delivery confirmation barcode or Intelligent Mail Package barcode) between November 9, 2012 and December 31, 2012. In order to claim the rebate, mailers need to demonstrate that during the fulfillment period, the number of Priority Mail packages delivered to customers exceeded .05 percent of the total number of qualifying mailpieces sent during the promotion period.
More detailed information and requirements for the Holiday Mobile Commerce Promotion will be published in future Federal Register notices and Postal Bulletins. You may also access the USPS RIBBS web site dedicated to promotions and incentive programs.